We live on a hot liquid rock with a thin crust. The surface of Planet Earth is formed by tectonics and bubbling hot lava during millions of years. Here are a couple of hot spots visualized with the Chronoscope World.
Pico del Teyde on Tenerife
- Altitudinal zonation of vegetation forms at Pico del Teide on Tenerife Timewarp Alexander von Humboldt 1817 /via ChronoAlex
Crater view at Pico del Teide | Perpsective | Teide
La Palma at the Canary Islands
Laacher See Lake Laach /last eruption about 12,900 years ago.
Dragney is a 700,000 year old volcano in Iceland. Well, the remains of the volcano.
Jules Verne’s science fiction novel Journey to the Center of the World starts at Snæfellsjökull on Iceland – while Stromboli provides the exit of the cave system.
Stromboli satellite view
HAPAG Ahoi! Stromboli ca. 1909 (2 photos) Perspective
- Italy has several cold and hot volcanos; for instance the crater lakes:
- Lago di Bolsena Lago de Bracciano ol Vulcanus Sabatinus Lacus et Vulcanus Albanus
Mount Vesuvius destroyed Pompeii in 79 A.D. City plan
The vulcano is still active:
HAPAG Ahoi! Vesuvius ca. 1938 (7 photos)
Mount Etna Aetnae in Sicilia 1707
HAPAG Ahoi! Sicily ca. 1936 (11 photos)
Mont Pelée on Martinique
Mount Pelée on Martinique Perspective
Ruins of Co-Cathedral of Our Lady of Assumption on Martinique after the eruption of 1902 Perspective
/via HAPAG Ahoi! #St. Pelée (8 photos) on #Martinique (34 photos) ca. 1909 #
Jorullo in Mexico satellite view of Jorullo Jorullo 1845
Geognostische Schnitt entlang des Weges zwischen Acapulco und Mexico-Stadt /via
Vulcanos in Ecuador 1894 Vulcanos in Ecuador 1897
- Satellite view of Cotopaxi 5897m
Gipfel des Cotopaxi 5753m. Wenige electrische Explosionen mit Donner begleitet. –Humboldt
- Satellite view of Chimborazo 6268m
Gipfel des Chimborazo 6544m; die gemessene Basis durch Laplace’s barometrische Formel auf die Meeresfläche reduciert. – Viele leuchtende Meteore. –Humboldt
Humbold und Bonpland am Fuß des Chimborazo; von Friedrich Georg Weitsch (1810) /via
smoking gun of Tungurahua
Quer_Profil durch das Hochland von Quito
Tiefenprofil von Santiago nach Buenos Aires
Geology: comparative shapes and heights of mountains. Coloured aquatint by A. Tardieu after L. Brugiere. 1817
On the ring of fire…
Sarychev Volcano Zoom in
Miyakejima – South of Japan
Things I believe but cannot prove… Gilibanta Island
/via Kalimaya Diving Resort
- Smithsonian Institute has no evidence for an eruption of Gilibanta for the recent 10,000 years. However, I believe that a vulcano eruption has significantly reshaped the island after 1835. Some historical maps support this hypotheses; but are they accurate and reliable? A map from 1835 shows Glibanta with a convex shape:
10 years later the shape is slim and concave; similar to the current outline:
Maybe the map from 1858 was not updated yet:
Gili Banta Anchorage, Indonesia /a drone flight 9/2018
Next West: Gunong Api has two peaks
Plenty of smoking volcanos on Java
Erwin Raisz (1893 - 1968) has drawn a set of geological illustrations about the upper layers of the Earth.
– Feb 2021 –
This interactive trip to some hot spots of the world is also available in 3D. ChronoVolcano 3D is an interactive round-trip to some volcano sites.
By Matthias Müller-Prove. Created: September 2019, Modified: